About the Journal
Aims and Scope
Cubic Journal, is published in conjunction with Cubic Society and the Cubic Research Network as an academic platform aimed at the dissemination of design related research. Operating from within The Hong Kong Polytechnic University’s School of Design (PolyU Design), the platforms aims to draw together global scholars in order to generate, exchange and discuss contemporary questions within the pursuit of advancing knowledge through and within a number of design disciplines.
Operating as both projective [design] and analytic practices [de_/sign] Cubic focusses on the disciplinary intersection within three distinct realms:
- Design Social (設計社會學): collaborative design with communities to improve their lives through participatory, theoretical and critical approaches,
- Design Economies (設計經濟學): collaborative design that enhances the role of design in innovation and value creation in the private sector, and
- Design Making (設計製造學): design investigations with communities and practices of making, and the global “maker movement,” as expressed through technological, organizational as well as sociological facets.
Cubic Journal is an open access publication. All work part of the Cubic Journal falls under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC BY 4.0). Work may be copied, shared and distributed when authors are properly accredited. Any amendments to the original work needs to be shown. This agreement does not direclty or indirectly endorses third party views or how the information is used in other formats.
Copyrights and publishing rights
Cubic Journal allows the author(s) to hold their copyright without restrictions. Cubic Journal also allows the author(s) to retain their publishing rights without restrictions.
Author processing charges (APC)
Cubic Journal does not have article processing charges (APCs).
Article submission charges
Cubic Journal doesn't have article submission charges.
Authors can archive the pre-print and post-print versions of the work they have submitted to Cubic Journal, including the pdf version of the article (the so-called publisher's version) that is available on this website. Authors are explicitly free to copy and redistribute the work they have submitted in any medium or format and to remix, transform, and build upon the work they have submitted to Cubic Journal for any purpose.
Cubic Journal grants you the right to publish the metadata of the series, it's issues and articles under the terms of the Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal (CC0 1.0).
Anyone who believes that an contribution published in Cubic Journal does not comply with these principles should raise their concerns with the editor-in-chief.
All work is checked against plagiarism before publication.
Cubic Journal is published annually. Each issue contains on average 10 contributions.
Cubic Journal operates on a double-blind review process, in which the identity of both the reviewer and the author are unknown to each other. This ensures impartiality and helps every paper get an unbiased review.
Cubic Journal uses the following principles during the review process:
- Timing – preprints (the articles are reviewed before publication);
- Identifiability – reviews are double-blinded;
- Mediation – editors mediate all interactions between reviewers and authors;
- Publication – peer reviews are not published;
- Facilitation – reviews are facilitated by the journal;
- Ownership – reviews are owned by the journal;
- Decision – editors decide on acceptance, based on reviews.
Cubic Journal is indexed by Google Scholar and the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ). In April 2022 Cubic Journal was accepted by Scopus for inclusion in the index.